Urlai Roast is Tamil Nadu Cuisine, it is a dish made of potato and tastes delicious with rasam and rice, or with pulav or even with chapati, roti, paratan. Make this delicious Chettinad Urlai Roast at home and serve it to your kids as potatoes are all time favourites
Ingredients Of Urlai Roast
- grated coconut – 1
- whole red chillies – 10 gm
- coriander seeds – 15 gm
- ginger – 15 gm
- garlic – 15 gm
- cinnamon – 5 gm
- cardamoms – 5 gm
- cloves – 5 gm
- kalpasi bark – 3 gm
- star anise seeds – 3 gm
- black pepper corns – 5 gm
- curry leaves – 3 gm
- turmeric powder – 2 gm
- boiled small potatoes – 1/2 kg
- chettinadu masala- 1 tsp
- oil – 2 Tbsp
- chopped onions – 4
- chopped tomatoes – 3
- ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- slit green chillies – 3
- curry leaves – 5-6
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- coriander powder – 4 tsp
- water – 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves
1. Boil the potatos and peel them.
For the chettinadu masala:
1.Take a frying pan and roast coconut, whole red chillies, cinnamon, cardamoms, kalpasi bark, star anise seeds, coriander seeds, ginger, garlic,cloves, black peppercorns, curry leaves and turmeric powder. Keep all these aside to cool.
2. In a mixer grind the shallow roasted spices to a fine paste.
3.The Chettinadu masala is ready to add it to the recipe.
For the main preparation:
1.Take a pan and heat oil in the pan to this add onion and saute until translucent.
2. To this add tomatoes, ginger garlic paste, green chillies, and curry leaves, turmeric powder, red chillies, coriander powder and salt and cook for few munites.
3.Add little water and cook until it turns into a thick paste.
4.Now, add the boiled potatoes and the chettinadu masala. Cook for 3-4 minutes till it becomes dry.
6. The Urlai Roast Recipe is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves.
8.Serve hot with rice or appams.
is very popular and can be made easier if you have the chettinadu masala ready!