Uppittu is basically Rava Coconut Upma. This dish is ideal Karnataka breakfast recipe.
- 1 cup of Rava (semolina)
- 1 small Onion
- 2 or 3 Green chilies
- 1/2 ” piece Ginger
- 2 tbsp grated Coconut
- 1.5 cup Water
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dhal
- 1 tsp Chana dhal
- 2 Dry Red chilies
- 8-10 Cashews
- 5-6 Curry leaves
- Take a semi-heavy bottom pan or kadaai and add ghee to it. Dry Roast the Rava in it, till is the color starts turning golden brown. Remove from heat and keep it on a plate.
- Chop the onion into small pieces, slit the green chili into halves and chop little the ginger.
- Now take the grated coconut, add about 1/2 of a small cup of water and give a slight squeeze with your fingers. The coconut milk will come out. Otherwise, you can grind it in a grinder with a little water. Mix all the ingredients along with the remaining water and keep it ready.
- Now in the same pan put the oil. Now add the mustard seeds, channa dal, and urad dal. Fry it well till it changes color to slight brown.
- Now add chopped cashews and roast it. Also, put in the dry red chilies and curry leaves.
- Now one by one add the chopped onions, ginger and spit green chilies. Saute for just 1-2 minutes.
- Now add the coconut and water combo that you prepared to the pan. Also, add a little salt as per taste.
- Keep it for some time to boil, then reduce the flame. Now add in the roasted Rava/semolina and constantly stir.
- Add 1 tsp of ghee and close the pan.
- Keep the flame in simmer for around 5 to 6 minutes till all the water is absorbed and the Rava/semolina become cooked.
- Remove it from the flame and serve it hot.