Skip to content
June 19, 2019
Tomato Chutney Recipe
- 3 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium onions cubed (optional)
- 4 to 6 red chilies or green chillies or ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon chana dal or bengal gram or 1½ to 2 tbsp peanuts or sesame seeds
- ½ tablespoon urad dal or skinned black gram or peanuts (optional)
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon jeera or cumin
- Salt as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric or haldi as needed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Heat a pan with 1 tablespoon oil.
- On a medium flame roast one tablespoon chana dal & half teaspoon urad dal until aromatic & deep golden.
- Add half teaspoon cumin & saute for a minute. Remove to a plate & set aside to cool completely.
- Next add 4 to 6 red chilies and fry until they turn crisp.
- Then add 1 cubed onion & 2 garlic cloves.
- Fry them until a sweet aroma comes out from the onions. This takes about 3 to 5 mins.
- When the onions turn golden add 3 large chopped tomatoes, ¼ teaspoon salt & 1/8 teaspoon turmeric.
- Saute until soft & mushy. The raw smell of onions and tomatoes must go away completely.
- Cool this and blend until smooth.
- You may need to pour little water if using peanuts.
- If you like thick chutney & the tomatoes are pulpy you can also skip water completely.