Tirunelveli Sodhi Kuzhambu recipe:
A Tirunelveli Sodhi Kuzhambu recipe is prepared in coconut milk gravy and cooked along with a collection of regular vegetables. It is provided along with any South Indian lunch recipe as a side saucer.
Make Sodhi Kuzhambu for a particular event and serve along with Puri or Steamed Rice and Inji chutney for a delicious food.
If you like this food recipe of Tirunelveli Sodhi Kuzhambu, here is a few more Kuzhambu Recipes.
- 1/4 cup Yellow Moong Dal (Split), washed and kept aside
- 1 Potato (Aloo), cut into small pieces
- 8 Green beans (French Beans) cut into small pieces
- 1 Carrot (Gajjar), cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Green peas (Matar)
- 1/2 cup Cauliflower (Gobi), florets
- 2 Drumstick, cut into 1 inch pieces, cut lengthwise
- 5 Pearl onions (Sambar Onions), cut into half
- 1 Tomato, cut into quarters
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- Then, 1 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) seeds
- 1 tablespoon Cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafetida (Hing)
- Then, 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 cup Fresh coconut, grated
- 1 inch Ginger
- 7 cloves Garlic
- 4 Green Chilies, slit
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves, for garnish
- Salt, as per taste
How to make Tirunelveli Sodhi Kuzhambu Recipe
Prepare the ingredients
- To begin making Tirunelveli Sodhi Kuzhambu, make sure all your vegetables are prepared.
- Into a pressure cooker, add the chopped cauliflower florets, potatoes, green beans, carrots, drumsticks, and peas add a pinch of asafetida along with 1/4 cup water.
- Pressure cooks the vegetables for 2 whistles and releases the pressure immediately by running the pressure cooker under running water.
- Open the lid and take the cooked vegetables out. This is done in order to keep the nutrition and colour of the vegetables.
- In the same pressure cooker at 1/4 cup moong dal along with 1/4 cup water. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles and turn off the pressure cooker. Release the pressure naturally.
- In the small jar of a mixer, add green chilies, ginger, 5 cloves of garlic and grind to a smooth paste. Set aside.
To prepare the coconut milk
- After that add the coconut and mince into the coarse mix. Then add 1/2 cup of water and grind into smooth paste. Shift the coconut paste into the sieve and take out the coconut milk. That’s the thick coconut milk.
- In the same jar, add the extracted coconut again with 3/4 cup of water and grind into smooth paste. Extract through the strainer and discard the coconut residue. This is thin coconut milk.
To make the Kuzhambu
- Heat a Kadai with 1 tablespoon oil. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds & cumin seeds
- Once the mustard starts spluttering, add the chopped onions, remaining garlic cloves and curry leaves. Saute till the onions and garlic become translucent.
- Next add the ginger, garlic chili paste and saute until the raw smell goes away.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Now add in the pressure cooked vegetables and moong dal into the kadai. Mix well.
- Once all the ingredients are mixed well, add the thin coconut milk and let it simmer on a low flame for a few minutes.
- Finally, add the thick coconut milk and mix well. Let it be on a flame for 3 mins & switch off the flame.
- Finally, add the coriander leaves and lemon juice & mix well. Now Tirunelveli Sodhi Kuzhambu is ready to be served.