Thakkali Vengayam Chutney is nothing but Spicy Madurai Tomato Chutney in Tamil Nadu. It is a tangy-sweet-spicy chutney from the district of Madurai in Tamil Nadu. It is one of the famous Tamil Nadu cuisines. It is spicy hence you can consume accordingly but yes a healthy one. Now, let us know the recipe of Thakkali Vengayam Chutney.
- 2 Onions
- 5 Dry red chillies
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons Urad dal
- Salt , to taste
- 1/4 cup Water
- 3 teaspoons Gingelly oil
- 2 teaspoons Tamarind Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
How to make Thakkali Vengayam Chutney(Madurai Spicy Tomato Chutney Recipe)
- Finely chop the onions and tomatoes and keep it aside.
- Take a pan and heat 1 teaspoon of oil on medium flame, add the dry red chillies, 1 chopped onion and 1 chopped tomato and saute them. Saute for about 5 minutes. Turn off the flame and allow to cool.
- Grind this to a paste with 2 tablespoons of water.
- In the same pan heat the remaining gingelly oil, add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
- To this add urad dal and curry leaves and saute for a couple of minutes or until the urad dal turns golden.
- Now add all the chopped onions and cook until the onions become transparent
- At this stage add in the remaining tomatoes, cover and cook.
- Cook till tomatoes get soft.
- Finally, add in the ground chilli-tomato-onion mixture to the pan.
- To this add a little water, mix well and bring to a single boil in low flame for 5 munites ( until cooked)
- Serve this Chutney along with Ragi Idli, Recipe Steamed Rice, dosa, chapathi, roti, etc.
To know more about the Tamil Nadu cuisines login to the Master Chefu.