Tamatar Chaman is cooked in a tangy tomato gravy. It is a popular dish in Kashmiri. Very delicious cuisine that can be prepared easily. It is prepared using very few ingredients.
- Paneer (Homemade Cottage Cheese) – cut into big cubes – 200 grams
- Tomatoes , roughly chopped – 4
- Cumin (Jeera) seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Shahi jeera (Caraway) – 1 teaspoon
- Kashmiri red chilli powder – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder (Haldi) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Fennel Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Dry ginger powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder , Kashmiri – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard oil – 2 tablespoons
- Salt, to taste
How to make Tamatar Chaman Recipe :
- Take a heavy bottomed pan, heat mustard oil and fry paneer cubes until it turns golden. Once done keep it aside.
- Take a cup warm water mixed with turmeric powder and immerse these cubes so that it keeps the paneer soft.
- In the same pan, add cumin seeds. Let them splutter, add the chopped tomatoes. Cook them until it soft.
- Mash the tomatoes into a nice paste.
- To this add the fennel, dry ginger, Kashmiri red chilli powder and mix well and cook.
- Now, add fried paneer cubes along with the turmeric water and boil it.
- To this add Kashmiri garam masala, salt and let the gravy cook in simmer for 15 minutes. Cook till the oil separates out.
- Turn off the flame, add in the shahi jeera, mix well and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Tamatar Chaman is ready to serve, it can be served along with Steamed Rice. To know more about Kashmiri Cuisines and Other Indian Cuisines or even the International Cuisinelogin to Masterchefu.