Semolina/suji/rava appam are the perfect ingredients when you want to prepare a quick and instant snack. With the help of this many dishes are prepared like rava dosa, rava uttapam, rava dhokla etc. Indian spicy rava appam recipe in Karnataka cuisine. It is a very healthy option too.
The preparation tips
- Soak rava minimum for 15 minutes
- You can add grated vegetables of your choice.
- If you are preparing this for your little one, you can avoid green chilies otherwise, you can add to give a nice spicy taste.
- Make the skillet hot enough so that you can get a nice texture to the rava appam.
- Brush some oil to flip the rava appam easily.
- The batter has to be thinner than idli batter and thicker than dosa batter.
- To get a nice crunchy and crispy outer crust always cook the appam on low flame.
- 1 cup Rava/suji/semolina
- 1 Onion
- 3-4 tablespoon curd or 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon oil+ oil for pan
- 1/4th tablespoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/4th tablespoon Urid dal
- 4-5 Curry Leaves
- Fruit Salt(Eno)
- Salt to Taste
Rava appam Process
- Heat oil in a Kadai. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Allow them splutter. Then add urad daal and cook till it turns brown in color.
Now add finely chopped onions and sprinkle some salt.
Cook till the onions become transparent.
- Take rava in a bowl and add some curd or buttermilk.
- If you have added curd then add some water and make it a battered form.
Now add the mixture of the onion we prepared and mix it well.
- Add some fruit salt or you can add Eno as a substitute & stir well. Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
Heat the appam skillet and brush a drop of oil in each of its grooves.
- When the oil is hot enough add a spoon full of rava mixture we prepared in each appe grooves.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes by covering the pan with any plate or lid.
- Flip the appam with help of spoon and cook for another 2 minutes
- Instant rava appam/appe/paniyaram are ready. Serve them hot with peanut & coriander chutney.