Raan Musallam is an old dish but unique of its kind. It is said that Mughal Kings were lips-smacking after eating this dish. Usually, Mutton and rarely chicken is marinated in a variety of spices. Cooked in low flames and served with gravy over it, made with fried onions, dry fruits and spices.
Try the Raan Musallam and let us know whether it was a lip-smacking experience or not!
Ingredients for Raan Musallam:
- Mutton, whole leg – 1 kg
- Ghee – 115 gms
- Curd – 60 gms
- Onions, thinly and evenly sliced – 60 gms
- Red chillies, powdered – 9 gms
- Coriander seeds, powdered – 9 gms
- Garam masala, powdered – 3 gms
- Peppercorns, powdered – 9 gms –
- Parched grams, powdered – 30 gms
- Almonds, blanched and ground with water – 9 gms
- Poppy Seeds (khus khus) ground with water – 9 gms
- Ginger, scraped and ground – 25 gms
- Cardamom seeds, powdered – 1 1.5 gms
- Mace, (javitri) powdered – 1 1.5
- Raw papaya, ground with water – 25 gms
- Khoya – 25 gms
- Kewada essence – 2 drops
- Saffron diluted in warm water – 1 pinch
- Salt – 18 gms
How to Make Raan Musallam:
- Take a pan, heat the ghee and fry sliced onions to golden brown.
- Grind these onions and keep it aside.
- Clean the mutton leg piece and prick the meat with a fork till the bone.
- Now, take a mixing bowl and add all the ingredients including fried ground onions except for ghee and make a mixture(No water to be added)
- Now apply and gently rub this mixture evenly all over the leg.
- Prick again so that spices enter the meat thoroughly.
- Let it marinade for 2 hours.
- Now take a thick bottomed wide open pan and pour the ghee and heat it, now place the meat.
- Cover it with a lid and put some live charcoals on top of the lid.
- Turn leg occasionally and brush it with the ghee.
- Cook till it is absolutely tender.
- You can even bake it in a moderately hot oven (350 F), for about 2 hours or till it is well cooked.
I bet this will certainly take you back to the Mughal period and you will enjoy it to the core.