Peyaji is an evening snack of Bengalis. It is a delicious snack usually served with a cup of tea. This snack comes under ‘telebhaja’ which means a fried savoury. Let us now learn how to make this snack.
- Sliced Onion – 1 cup
- Green chillies – 2 tsp (finely chopped)
- Nigella seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Chickpea flour – 1/2 cup
- Rice flour – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep-frying
How to prepare Peyaji :
- Take a large mixing bowl and combine onion, salt and green chillies.
- Mix little harder so that onions release its juices. To this add chickpea flour, rice flour, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and nigella seeds and mix well. This will form a thick paste.
- Sprinkle very little water if needed and set aside for 15 mins.
- Take a frying pan and heat oil in it to deep-fry the peyaji.
- Make lime-size balls of the paste and flatten slightly like vada.
- Gently slide into the oil and fry until golden brown on both sides.Peyaji tastes best served hot with Kashundi and Garam chai(tea)! Let us know how it really tasted. Kids will enjoy it. To know more about Bengali cuisine, Indian Cuisine or International Cuisine login to Masterchefu.