Patra Recipe is a Gujarati cuisine, it is a traditional dish of Gujarat. It is an interesting dish which will certainly take you far away and your taste buds will get pampered as it tastes sweetish, spicy and salty.
The snacks are very nutritious as it is prepared by leaf which is healthy. The leaves (colocasia leaves) are rolled with the spicy batter and steamed, hence it is healthy and nutritious. Try this wonderful interesting Gujarati cuisine at home and enjoy!
Ingredients for patra recipe:
bengal gram flour(besan) – 2 1/2 cups
ginger-green chilli paste – 1 tsp
turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
chilli powder – 1 tsp
asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
grated jaggery – 3/4 cup
tamarind pulp – 3 tbsp
oil – 1 tsp
salt to taste
colocasia leaves – 10 medium-sized
mustard seeds – 1 tsp
sesame seeds – 2 tsp
a pinch of asafoetida
For The Garnish
freshly grated coconut – 2 tbsp
finely chopped coriander – 2 tbsp
Let us learn how to make Patra recipe?
Take a bowl and combine all the ingredients mentioned for Besan mixture – add approx 1 cup of water and mix thoroughly till the jaggery melts. Mix till there are no lumps.
- Clean all the colocasia leaves and dry using a kitchen towel.
- Remove the veins using a sharp knife which is present at the bottom of the leafe.
- Now, place the leaf upside down and apply thin layer of besan mixture and spread it using your fingers.
- Now place another leaf on it and apply a thin layer again.
- Repeat this process for 3-4 leaves.
- Now, carefully roll the leaf rightly and apply besan on each fold.
- Place all these in a steamer and steam it for 20 to 25 minutes.
- When cool, cut into thick slices.
- Now take a pan and heat the oil and add the mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- To this add, the Patra pieces, toss gently and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Serve hot and garnish with coconut and coriander.
I bet Gujarati Patra recipe will mesmerism you with its unique taste.