Paruppu Payasam is the sweet treat from Tamil Nadu cuisine treasure. This is a simple recipe to cook a perfect Paruppu Payasam, which is basically a dessert made of Moong dal.
- 2 1/4 cup of Milk
- 1/3 cup Pasi of paruppu/Moong dal
- 1 1/2 -2 tbspKadalai paruppu/channa dal (optional)
- 3/4 cup Jaggery
- 1/4 cup Grated coconut
- 2 tsp Rice flour
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
- 6-7 Cashew nuts
Paruppu Payasam Process
- Take some warm water then dissolve jaggery to remove any impurities.
- In a cooking pan heat a tsp of ghee and roast the cashew nuts.
- In the same pan add pasi paruppu and kadalai paruppu (if using) separately and roast until you get a nice aroma of roasted dal. Just after that add water to the daal. Drain that water.
- Grate the coconut and grind it and add little rice flour.But the mixture should not be very lumpy or dry.
- Now pressure cook the daal with water, keeping the coconut and rice flour mixture in a cup for 3-4 whistles.
- Once the pressure is completely out , open the cooker and mash the daal well.
- Now the 3 main ingredients, mashed daal, coconut and the fried cashew nuts are ready.
- Now add the all three items, along with cardamom powder to the jaggery and mix it well then in low flame cook until everything gets blended nicely.
- Take a heavy bottom pan and boil milk in medium flame until it reduces a little.
- Now simmer the heat and add the daal mixture into the milk, but be very careful with the temperature of the jaggery, that should be at room temperature.
- After that add fried cashew nuts and boil this for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat , let it be cool then garnish with chopped cashew, you can add pista too.