Muttamala & Pinjanathappam is a typical malabar dessert of Kerala. It is simple dessert but very important at special occasions. Muttamala is very traditional sweet served at the newly wedded couples party. This sweet is mainly served in north Malabar areas.
- Egg – 6
- Sugar – cup
- Water – 1cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 Tspn
- Milk powder – 1 Tbspn
How to prepare Muttamala & Pinjanathappam :
- At the outset, separate egg whites and the yolks -kept aside.
- Take a pan and add water, sugar and boil to make a thick syrup.
- Now, beat the egg yolks and then add this to the boiling syrup. This should be add with a funnel or the cone with a small hole so that it falls like a thread.
- Reduce the heat and boil it.
- Sprinkle little cold water.
- Remove the egg strings from the syrup, make sure you do not break the strings
Spread in a plate. Remove the excess syrup. Muttamala is ready.
- Take a deep bowl and beat egg white, required sugar syrup, cardamom powder and milk powder.
- Steam this mixture in a cooker or a steamer.
- After it is cooled down then cut into pieces of required shapes.
- Finally, spread the yolk mixture on a plate and arrange the steamed egg white pieces
It is a healthy dessert as there is no oil or excess of sugar. Try it and let me know how it tasted.