Menthi Majjiga is a typical Andra summer drink. This cuisine helps energise you at this scorching summer. It involves no cooking, a very simple and easiest recipe to have a healthy drink made at home.
Yoghurt – 2 cups
Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Fenugreek & cumin powder- 1 tsp
Note: Dry roast fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds in equal amounts separately until light golden brown and grind together
Urad dal, cumin seeds, mustard seeds – 1 tsp each
Red chilli – 1
Curry leaves – fresh
Hing – a pinch
Chopped green chillies – 2
Oil – 1 tbsp
How to prepare Menthi Majjiga (Fenugreek Flavored Buttermilk):
- Take a deep mixing bowl and add turmeric, salt and fenugreek-cumin powder to yoghurt.
- Whisk until creamy but keep adding water for a thinner consistency which makes easy to drink.
- Take a tempering vessel and heat oil and add urad dal, cumin seeds, red chilli and mustard seeds.
- Once they start to splutter add hing, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Turn off heat and let it sizzle for few seconds.
- Add this to the yoghurt mixture and mix well.
- If you keep it thick you can serve it with hot rice or if thin consistency then you can chill it and drink.
It is very good for health and keeps you cool on a sunny day. Try it at home and do give your kids who are playing under the sun in this summer holidays.