- Rice-dry-roasted and washed – 1 cup
- Split moong daal-roasted and washed – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
- Water – 5 cups
- Ghee – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds roasted and powdered – 1 tsp
- Black peppercorns-roasted and powdered – 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts-split – 2-3 Tbsp
- Curry leaves – 5-6
- Asafoetida(Hing) – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
Melagu Rice Pongal Recipe Procedure:
- In a cooker cook rice, daal and turmeric with water, it should get soft. Keep it aside.
- In a small pan heat ghee and add the cumin seeds, peppercorns, cashew nuts and curry leaves.
- Saute this till slightly colored.
- Add asafoetida (Hing), salt to the rice mixture and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the sauted ingredients and turn off the flames.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or daal gravy and vada.