A Meen Kozhambu recipe is the king of all. Kozhambu is a gravy preparation with a base of Toor dal, urad dal, and tamarind. This fish curry is made with the whole of chillies and tamarind that makes it hot and sour in one bite.
- 1 fish (here the chef uses sea fish)
- oil (3 tsp )
- mustard oil (1/2 tsp )
- methi seeds (1/4 tsp )
- 2 onions-chopped
- 4 green chillies
- ginger garlic paste (1 1/2 tsp )
- red chilli powder (3 tsp )
- coriander powder (2 tsp )
- turmeric powder (1/2 tsp )
- Salt according to taste or 1 tsp
- tomato puree (about 1 cup/puree of 4 tomatoes)
- tamarind pulp (about 1/2 cup, soak about 75 gm of tamarind)
- water (1/2 cup )
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 7 coriander leaves
Meen Kozhambu Process:
- wash well and clean the fish and leave aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan; and one by one add the mustard seeds, methi seeds, onions and green chillies.
- Now fry till the onions turn a light brown and then add the ginger garlic paste, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and tomato puree and stir till they are all mixed well.
- Add the tamarind pulp and water and then add the pieces of fish. Allow the fish to cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Cook till the fish is boiled well and then garnish it your way and serve with rice.