Skip to content
June 19, 2019
Masala Rava Idli Recipe
INGREDIENTS (1 CUP = 240ML )
- 1 cup semolina or bombay rava or suji or chiroti rava
- 2 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon cumin or jeera
- ½ tablespoon chana dal or bengal gram
- 1 tablespoon cashews chopped (optional)
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 green chilies chopped (skip for kids)
- ¾ tsp ginger grated or paste
- 1/3 teaspoon salt – use as needed
- 2 to 3 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped finely
- ¾ cup curd or yogurt or dahi (fresh, not sour)
- ½ cup water for soaking rava
- 2 to 3 tablespoon water for batter consistency
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (skip if using eno)
- 1 teaspoon Eno or fruit salt or ¼ tsp cooking soda (or soda bicarbonate) (* refer notes)
- 1 teaspoon oil for greasing idli plates
- 4 cashewnuts or 8 split cashews
- 1 teaspoon carrot grated
Making rava idli batter
- When the rava is cooled down completely, add salt, 2 to 3 tablespoons coriander leaves, ¾ cup curd and half cup water.
- Mix well until the batter is uniform. Cover this and set aside for 30 mins.
- After 25 mins, grease the plates and place a cashew in each of the moulds.
- Also sprinkle some carrots. Set this aside.
Preparation for rava idli
- Heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a pan.
- Fry 8 split cashews until golden and set aside for garnishing.
- To the same pan add ½ teaspoon mustard, ¼ teaspoon cumin, 1 tablespoon broken cashews and ½ tablespoon chana dal.
- Fry until the dal turns golden.
- Reduce the flame and add 10 curry leaves, 1 to 2 chopped green chilies and ¾ teaspoon ginger.
- Saute until it turns fragrant just for 30 seconds.
- Then quickly add 1 cup rava.
- Mix well to coat the semolina with ghee.
- Roast on a low flame stirring consistently until the rava turns crunchy and slightly aromatic.
- Do not brown the rava. Set this aside and cool completely.
- Fresh Pineapple Milkshakes
- Potato Cheese Balls