Malabar Fish Biryani Recipe:
This traditional Malabar Fish Biryani recipe can be devoured at all times.
Like the appetizing feel of this ever-charming dish.
Ingredients of Malabar Fish Biryani
- 1 kg seer fish
- 1 kg onions
- 100 gm green chilies
- 70 gm garlic
- 70 gm ginger
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1 cup yogurt
- Salt to taste
- 1 kg rice (Kaima rice is best)
- 3 Tbsp ghee
- 1 cup cooking oil
- ½ kg tomatoes
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 Tbsp cashew nuts have broken
- 2 Tbsp raisins
- 4 glasses water (in quantity to the number of cups of rice)
- 3 pods cardamom
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- A pinch of garam masala
How to Make Malabar Fish Biryani:
- Take 250 gm onions and cut them into thin slices.
- Heat oil and 1/2 cup ghee in a saucepan, and cook the onion till fair brown.
- Deep-fry cashew nuts and raisins and keep to one side.
- Apply turmeric powder with sufficient salt and little water on the fish.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan.
- Evenly fry the fish till half done and keep to the side.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Pound the remaining onion in a blender with 1/2 cup water.
- Add this onion mixture to the hot oil.
- For now crush ginger, garlic, and chilies.
- Put in this paste to the onion mix. Mix well for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, yogurt, and salt.
- Boil for some time till the water evaporates.
- Add the fried fish pieces, coriander leaves and the juice from the lemons. Keep aside.
For the Rice:
- Heat ghee in a non-stick container.
- Add 1/2 chopped onion, cardamoms and cinnamon.
- Directly add the washed rice (drain without any water).
- Add boiled water (1:2 ratios) and salt and cook on high glow till the water is immersed in the rice.
- Stay the rice covered for 10 minutes. Add garam masala powder over the rice.
- Now take a heavy bottomed pot and add the cooked rice in one layer at the underneath.
- Add a few spoons of the fish masala.
- Fling some fried onion, nuts and raisins and a little garam masala powder and cover with a rice layer.
- Cover it up, finishing with the side dishes on top.
- Take a tablecloth (radius of the vessel), reduce it with water and a little rose water, and cover the pot.
- Put the biryani on Dum for 1 hour with low heat for the flavors to grow. Serve hot.