Raw Jackfruit curry makes a great shredded meat sub. Easy, it is an authentic Indian curry with simple spices and amazing flavor. It is made from Kerala style.
- 1 tsp mustered oil/ vegetable oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- Then ½ tsp nigella seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1- inch ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder (roast the seeds and ground for good taste)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes pureed, or 1.5 cups puree
- 1 green Jack-fruit, drained and rinsed
- ½ to ¾ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 to 1.5 cups water
Jackfruit curry Process
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Then add cumin, mustard and nigella seeds and once they start to pop . Add bay leaves and red chilies and cook for a few seconds.
- Add in the onion, ginger , garlic a pinch of salt. Cook until transparent. 5 to 6 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add coriander, turmeric, black pepper and mix well. Add pureed tomato, salt, and Jackfruit. Mix well and cover it for 15 minutes.
- Uncover it and cook for a few minutes to thicken the tomato puree.
- Add water into it, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and spice.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cover it then cook for another 10 minutes or longer until desired consistency.
- Garnish the curry with cilantro and serve with hot rice.