Khatta means sour and that is the way this dish tastes.
The khatta veg recipe is made with fried besan boondis (fried chick pea flour balls).
This tastes delicious. Try this at home and let us know how it really tasted.
coriander powder (dhaniya) – 4 heaped tablespoons
besan (chick pea flour) – 8 heaped tablespoons
chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
amchur (mango powder) – 6 heaped tablespoons
turmeric powder – 2 teaspoons
cilantro – 1 bunch
asafetida (hing) – ½ teaspoon
fenugreek seeds (methi) – ½ teaspoon
cinnamon/ dalchini – 1 large stick
black cardamom pods – 2
10 cups of water
Salt to taste
Ingredients for boondi:
besan (chick pea flour) – 1 cup
turmeric – 1/4 teaspoon
coriander powder (dhaniya) -1 teaspoon
Chili powder to taste
¼ cup water
Khatta Veg Recipe METHOD:
Take a mixing bowl and add all the ingredients for the boondi and whisk well with some some water.
Take a deep frying pan and heat oil for frying.
Sieve the boondi batter through a sieve. Fry the boondi till it is crisp but do not brown.
KHATTA VEG GRAVY RECIPE:
- Take a thick pan and heat 4 tablespoons of oil .
- To this add ½ teaspoon methi seeds, dalchini, moti eilachi and ½ teaspoon of hing (asafetida) and saute.
- Now add the coriander powder, besan, chilli powder, turmeric, amchur powder, salt altogether and keep stirring.
- Add 10 cups of water to it and stir very well
- Boil it for 15 minutes
- Now its time to add boondi and boil for 5 minutes.
- Now turn off the flame and keep it aside. The mixture will thicken.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with white rice.