Hyderabad Chicken Dum Biriyani in Andhra Style:
Hyderabad Chicken Dum Biriyani is an exciting recipe of Andhra cuisine recipe.
Everybody craves at least once in their life to eat this super-food!
Layering and flavoring is the solution to this Biriyani recipe.
If you get the spices right, then you could make this dish easily.
However this is a time-consuming recipe, it is a one-pot meal and it’s perfect for a weekend.
Key Ingredients for biriyani recipe:
Fried onions 1/4 kg (sliced)
Basmati rice 1/2 kg
Biriyani cut chicken 1/2 kg
Sour Hung curd 125 gm
Biriyani Masala 1 tbsp
Green chilies 3-4 nos.
Red chili powder 1 1/2 tbsp (or to taste)
Ginger garlic paste 1-2 tbsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Chopped Mint, coriander leaves
Lemon juice 1 no.
Dhaniya powder 1 tbsp
Ghee 2 tbsp
Oil 2 tbsp
Saffron strands soaked in milk 5 nos.
Kewra water (optional) 1 Tsp
Whole spices (a little bit of all the spices in biriyani masala)
Chapati dough – to seal the degh/ pan
Method for chicken biriyani:
- For marinade: Clean the chicken, add oil, ginger-garlic paste, green chilies, turmeric biriyani masala, red chili powder, dhania powder, half of the fried onions, very little salt and hung curd. Mix it well and keep it for two hours.
- Heat a degh or any thick bottomed wide pan; add oil, ghee, shahi jeera and whole spices. Add this marinate
- Then, Add salt and lemon juice. Cook it for some time. About 10 mins. Switch off and take out the curry. Set aside.
- In a vessel, heat 1 to 1.5 liters of water. Add salt and green chilies, whole spices and little oil. So that the rice doesn’t fix.
- Once the water is a boil, add the soaked rice. Let it get half cooked. Very important otherwise the rice will get soggy.
- Drain it and set aside.
- In the degh, fill half the cooked curry and spread it on the bottom.
- Add mint coriander leaves and layer half the cooked rice on top of the curry.
- On the rice, add the remaining fried onions, mint coriander leaves, saffron milk, and kewra water. Sprinkle about 50 ml water; add ghee 1/2 tbsp.
- Roll chapati dough and close the degh with a lid and seal the edges with chapati dough.
- Heat a tawa well, put the degh, and cook for 5 mins. Reduce the flame and cook for 20 mins. When you get to see steam coming out of the edges of the degh, switch off.
Serve hot Hyderabad Chicken Dum Biriyani recipe!
Do not mix it; just take a cross-section of the biriyani.