The most famous and widely consumed cuisine all over India is the cuisine from the lush green state of Punjab. Punjab is one of the foodie states of India. People are crazy about food and they prepare a variety of dishes. Hariyali Chicken is one of the interesting recipes of Punjab. The recipe looks gree in colour hence its called Hariyali. Hariyali mean greenery.
Ingredients for Hariyali Chicken:
- Boneless chicken (cut into chunks) – 300 gm
- Spinach chopped – 1 bunch
- Tomato puree – 1 cup
- Fresh cilantro chopped – 1 cup
- Fresh mint leaves chopped – 1/2 cup
- Green chillies whole – 8
- Yogurt (fresh curd) – 1 cup
- Ginger-garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds (white til) – 1/2 tsp
- Poppy seeds (khas-khas) – 1/2 tsp
- Green cardamoms -4-5 pods
- Whole cashew nuts – 4-5
- Unsalted butter – 1 tsp
- Cup fresh cream – 1/2
- Lime juice – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Bay leaf – 1
- Black peppercorns – 2-3
- Cloves – 2-3
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Mace – 1
Let us learn how to prepare Hariyali Chicken:
- Take a mixing bowl and add chicken, curd, salt, ginger-garlic paste and 1/2 tsp red chilli powder and mix well. Let it marinate for an hour.
- Boil the spinach in water and let it cool.
- In a mixer, add boiled spinach, green chillies, cilantro and mint leaves and make a fine paste.
- Again in a mixer add cashew nuts, poppy seeds, green cardamoms and sesame seeds.
- Take a pan and heat oil and add whole garam masala and saute to this add tomato puree and stir for a minute. Add ground green paste, salt, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder and turmeric powder, mix well.
- Now, add marinated chicken and stir well, cook the chicken in green masala paste and tomatoes for about 15-18 minutes. Make sure it is cooked in a low flame.
- Add ground powder and coriander powder, mix well and cook till water evaporates. Cook till the gravy becomes medium thick.
- Add lemon juice and butter on the top and cover the pan with the lid. Cook it for 2 minutes, so that chicken gets the aroma of all the flavours.
- Finally, add fresh cream, mix well and cook for 10 seconds.Serve hot with naan or plain steamed rice and or even with naan or roti.
Hariyali Chicken will taste delicious even if you eat it just like that. You are certain to crave for more. To know more about Punjabi cuisines and about rest of Indian Cuisines login to Master Chefu.