Long grained rice (basmati), washed and drained – 1 1/2 cups
Ghee -3 tbsp
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon – 12 mm (1/2″)
Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida (hing) -1/4 tsp
Peeled potato cubes – 1 1/2 cups
Green peas – 1 cup
Peeled carrot cubes – 1 cup
Turmeric powder (haldi) – 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala -1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Gujarati Masala Bhaat Procedure:
- Soak the rice in water for at least 30 minutes. And then drain and keep aside.
- In a deep non-stick pan heat the ghee, to this add the cloves, cinnamon and cumin seeds.
- While the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, potatoes, green peas, carrots and salt. Sauté all this on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala, and rice. Mix the mixture well and sauté on a medium flame for about 5 minutes.
- To this add 3½ cups of hot water and salt and mix well. Taste it for salt.
- Cover with a lid and simmer till the rice is cooked. Stirring gently occasionally.
- Once cooked, serve hot with fresh curds.