Goan Nevri Recipe is a popular sweet dish from Goa. It is prepared especially during Christmas, Ganesh Chaturthi, and Diwali. This will be crisp and crunchy. Can be stored for long days in an air tight container.
- Refined flour – 2 cups
- Clarified butter – 1 cup
- water to mix
For the filling:
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Poppy seeds (khus khus) – 1 Tbsp
- Powdered green cardamom – 1 tsp
- Finely chopped almonds – 1 Tbsp
- Oil for deep-frying
How to Make Goan Nevri Recipe
- In a wide bowl, rub one-fourth cup ghee into the flour, water and knead. Knead into a stiff dough.
- Leave to rest for half an hour.
For the filling
- In a bowl mix together the coconut, sugar, poppy seeds, cardamom and almonds.
- Now, make balls of the dough and roll out into 1 cm/1/8 in thick rounds.
- Wet the edges with water and place the filling over one-half.
- Then fold the other half over it and press the edges together to seal.
- You can cut off the edge with a fancy cutter or make a design by rolling or pinching and twisting all along the edges to seal.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Add as many neoris as fit in comfortably and fries easily.
- Turn them upside down in medium heat. Fry till golden brown on all sides.