Davangere Mirchi Bajji is a famous snack in Karnataka. Davangere is one of the districts of Karnataka. It is not only eaten during winter or rain it is eaten all over the year with same enthusiasm.
It is easy and I have been preparing it for many years and it comes out wonderfully. This delicious recipe was taught by my Davangere friend. Now let us learn how to make it.
(measuring cup used = 240ml)
- gram flour/besan – 1.5 cup
- rice flour – 1/4 cup
- Bajji chilies – 8 – 10
- red chilli powder – 1/2 – 1 tsp
- crushed cumin seeds or cumin powder – 2 tsp
- asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- A pinch of baking soda
- oma or carom seeds or ajwain seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt as per your taste.
Ingredients for stuffing:
- onion – 1 finely chopped
- coriander leaves – 2 tbsp finely chopped
- green chilli – 1 finely chopped
- chat masala (optional) – 1/4 tsp
- Salt as per taste.
Procedure to make Davangere Mirchi Bajji:
At the outset, Step: 1
- Wash all the chillies and wipe dry then slit all the chillies lengthwise and remove all the seeds.
- Take a bowl and add 2 tsp of powdered cumin seeds, a tsp of salt and mix them well.
- Stuff the chillies evenly this mixture and keep it aside.Step: 2
- Take a bowl and add gram flour, rice flour, red chilli powder, salt, baking soda, carom seeds and asafoetida and some water to make a thick batter. Let the batter be of idli batter consistency.
- Take a deep frying pan and some oil and heat it.
- Now dip the chillies one by one in the batter and slowly slide them into the oil and deep fry them.
- Make sure you keep the flame in medium.
- The outer coat should be thick enough to cover the whole Mirchi.
- Finally again slit the fried Mirchis lengthwise and stuff all the chopped onion, coriander leaves, green chilli and chat masala.
The Davangere Mirchi tastes yum when served with hot tea.
Make this wonderful snack for your family and friends, I bet they will ask for more !!