Bamboo Rice Puttu:
Bamboo Rice is the seeds of the Bamboo shoot which comes once in 30-60 years when the plant is failing.
Isn’t it exciting? The Bamboo plant produces new shoots from its ancestry.
Once the shoot is disappearing it starts to flower which then produces seeds.
In India this flowering of Bamboo shoot is measured a bad luck because the whole areas of bamboo plants die off.
Bamboo is used as a normal puttu kutty in olden days.
It was also used for many other purposes.
When a bamboo shoot dies, it was believed to be the beginning of famine.
The seeds of the bamboo are stored and used as food.
It resembles paddy rice in shape but is brown in colous.
The taste and texture is however more like wheat – sticky and chewier.
Bamboo rice puttu can be cooked and water like usual white rice.
Bamboo rice puttu is a new traditional Kerala Cuisine food recipe that is prepared when this is offered.
It has carbohydrates and fiber like regular rice. It has high calcium content and Vitamin B.
Since it has low glycemic index, it is considered as a healthy option for diabetic patients.
These days you can find Bamboo rice, locally known as Moongil Arisi or Mulayari in super markets and health stores.
So why not you guys buy a packet of this rare food and try this dish.
- Bamboo Rice – 1/2 kg
- Grated coconut- as needed
- Salt- as necessary
- Water- as necessary
How to make Bamboo Rice Flour?
- Wash the bamboo rice and marinate it for 2-3 hours. Extend in a clean cloth to dry.
- Mince it to a coarse powder using a mixed or in a flour pound.
- Dry roast the flour for few minutes. It is prepared to make puttu now.
- Take necessary amount (about 2 cups) of bamboo rice flour in a plate and put in some salt.
- Drop water and keep mixing with your fingers till all the flour becomes humid. The flour should look powdery and hold together when pressed between your palms. Keep this away.
- Take water in a pressure cooker and get it to boil.
- Taker the puttu kutty, add the disc and add 1-2 tbsp of grated coconut at the bottom. Add 4-5 tbsp of the prepared puttu flour. Cover it again with grated coconut, followed by puttu flour. Fill to the top with grated coconut as the top sheet.
- Close the puttu kutty and carefully place it on the pressure cooker whistle gap.
- As you see steam coming from the top holes of the puttu kutty, continue cooking for few minutes, after that you can switch off and remove the puttu using the stick that comes with the puttu kutty. Enjoy it hot.