Bakheer or Gud Chawal ki Kheer is a traditional Uttar Pradesh dessert. It is usually prepared during Ram Navami and Dussehra. The dessert is prepared using rice, jaggery and milk.
- Rice (1 cup)
- Jaggery (gud) (1 cup)
- Green cardamom (hari elaichi), crushed(½ tsp)
- Raisins (kishmish) (1 tsp)
- Cashew nuts (kaju) (2 tbsp)
- Ghee (1 tsp)
- Milk (3 cups)
How to prepare Bakheer :
- Take a pan and mix water with the jaggery and boil it until the jaggery melts. (Do not have to make any thread syrup)
- Take a cup of rice and wash and soak it in water.
- Strain the jaggery syrup through a muslin cloth to remove any impurities.
- Now, drain all the water from the rice and mix in the jaggery syrup.
- Take a pressure cooker, add the rice-and-jaggery syrup and cook for about 4 to 5 whistles.
- Once the pressure has naturally released, open the cooker lid and gently mash the rice.
- Meanwhile, bring the milk to a boil
- Take a pan and heat ghee and fry the Raisins & Cashew nuts in it until they have turned golden brown in colour.
- Then, add the milk, fried dry fruits and cardamom powder to the cooked Bakheer. Mix well.
Serve hot with dal ki poorie.
Remember to add in milk only just before serving, or else it will begin to curdle in the kheer.