Aval Upma is a very simple but healthy cuisine of Kerala. It has very less oil and hence very healthy for every age group. Simple breakfast recipe, you can do it in very less time. Now let us learn how to make Aval Upma.
Ingredients for Aval Upma:
- 1 cup – Aval (Flattened Rice/ Poha) (You can make with white or red aval)
- 1 – Onion (small – chopped)
- A tiny piece Ginger
- 1 – Green Chili (sliced)
- 1 tbsp – Grated Coconut
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves (Cilantro)
- Lemon Juice – few drops
- Salt – to taste
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- 1 tbsp – Oil
- 1/2 tsp -Mustard Seeds
- 2 tbsp – Peanuts (or Channa dal)
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- 5- 6 Curry Leaves
- 1- Dry Red Chilli
How to prepare Aval Upma:
- Wash Aval under running water for few seconds.
- For about 5 minutes, let it soak in that moisture.
- Take a pan and heat some oil and add the mustard seeds and peanuts.
- Roast it on low flame
- To this add asafoetida, dry red chilli and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onions, ginger, green chili and turmeric powder.
- Saute for a minute.
- Now, add the soaked aval and mix gently. Sprinkle few drops of water if needed.
- Cover with a lid, reduce the flame and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, grated coconut and coriander leaves.
- Mix again gently.