Avakai (Mango pickle) of Andhra is one of the most famous pickles. Every pickle lover will have a jar of Avakai Pickle. Making Avakai pickle is an easy process. Let us now try to make it.
- Mango pieces – 6 cups
- Salt – 1 cup
- Red chilli powder – 1 cup (heaped)
- Kabul Chana / White Chickpea powder – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – 3/4 cup
- Methi seeds – 1/2 cup
- Gingelly Oil – 2 cups
How to make Andhra Avakai Pickle
1. At the outset wash sour and firm raw mangoes and wipe them out to dry with a towel.
2. Cut the mangoes into big pieces.
3. Make sure you keep them in a broad glass bowl or clay pot.
4. Mustard seeds need to be kept under the sun for an hour and powder them.
5. Then dry roast the methi seeds to golden brown and powder.
6. Take a big glass/ porcelain bowl mix all the powders, salt, chana powder, oil with the mango pieces with a wooden ladle.
7. Cover the bowl with a white muslin cloth
8. Sun-dry for four hours.
9. Then every day for 5 days, stir once in the morning and evening with a neat and dry wooden ladle.
The lip-smacking pickle is now ready to use.
Store an in airtight bottle.