Amer Mishti Achar is one of the authentic pickles of Bengalis. Bengalis love their sweet and sour mango pickle as it has to be in every meal. Sweetness is from jaggery, a hint of spice and finally, a dash of mustard oil gives a rich flavour.
Ingredients for Amer Mishti Achar:
- Raw mango – chopped into large cubes with skin – 3 cups
- Jaggery – grated 2 cups
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Turmeric Powder – 2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 tbsp
- Fennel seed -1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Dry red chillies – cut into small bits – 3–4
- Mustard oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt – 1/4 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Take a big vessel and heat water, add Turmeric Powder and half of the salt, turn off the flame.
- Now add in the mango pieces and let them soak in the brine for an hour.
- Now, drain the water and dry the mango pieces by spreading over the towel under a fan.
- Take a pan and dry roast fenugreek and fennel seeds and ground them coarsely.
- Now put some mustard oil in a pan and add red chillies and fry until they change colour.
- In the low flame, add the grated jaggery and cook until it forms a thick liquid.
- Now stir in sugar and cook again for 5–8 mins, until the mixture thickens and is glossy.
- Next, add the mango pieces and cook on low flame until the liquid coats the mangoes, turn off the flame.
- Mix the ground fenugreek and fennel, Red Chilli Powder and remaining salt.
- Allow the mixture to cool. Store in a bottle jar.This pickle is very delicious and tangy to eat along with paratha, curd rice and any kind of rice will enhance the taste.
- To know more about Bengali cuisines, Indian and International cuisines login to MasterChefu.